DX Studio Version 3.0 Released
Thursday, September 25, 2008
We are delighted to announce that version 3 has now been fully released. It has been in development for a long time but we think you will enjoy the results.
Our sincere thanks to all those who have helped along the way.
Version 3 can be downloaded now from here!
Major new features in v3:-
- Live editors - The integrated 2D and 3D editors let you bring together your models, environments, sounds and effects into a scene and define how it all behaves. As you edit, you can see exactly how the final scene will look with full shadows, per-pixel lighting, and anti-aliased fonts.
- Controls and Modules - For true rapid application development, nothing beats reusable components, and the new controls and modules in DX Studio provide this for 2D and 3D respectively. A control behaves like a scene, but you expose properties and methods that will be picked up by a parent scene and hide all the internal workings. Some useful controls and modules have been put in the library to help get started.
- Ogg Theora video support - HD video with HTTP streaming.
- 3D Gizmo - you can now manipulate 3d content without switchingtools.
- Firefox and Chrome browser support - alongside the existing IE player.
- Effects upgrade - you can now apply shaders to individual objects.
- Integrated debugger - hit F5 to launch your doc in debug mode. Set breakpoints (F9), watches and step through your code (F11).
- Database driven autocomplete - autocomplete now reads your variables for type information and is fully F1 synched to the reference guide.
- Cubic reflection materials - a material can reflect the world objects around it.
- Multitexturing - you can now apply your own light map or second texture to mesh materials.
- Cloth vertex attachment supported - you can now attach cloth vertices to other physics objects (with an optional offset).
- Vehicles - you can now add vehicles! Set the physics class to Vehicle, and use a Box shape for the chassis.
- Text manipulation - you can now create bold, italic and underline text, borders and character spacing all via the editor or via script.
- Per-object post processing effects - you can now apply post process effects to objects.
- 2D cropping and masks - you can now crop a bitmap with a crop rectangle or use any other bitmap object as a mask (which allows for sequences)
- 2D scenes inside 3D scenes - a new 2d effect plane effect 'virtualLayer' lets you place a 2d scene anywhere in a 3D space.
- Timer functions - new functions setTimer(id, delay) and onTimer(id) allow simple timers to be made.
- Multiline editable text - multiline edit boxes are now possible.
- Support for pen tablet - now uses a different method of sampling the mouse.
- Mesh thumbnail tool - go to Mesh Properties to set your own thumbnail in the mesh file.
- New profiler - SHIFT+ALT+F12 to profile a document.
- New font override capability (property on a font) - allows you to make a font override all other instances that use the same font id in any scenes.
- New side-by-side installer - multiple copies of the editor can now be installed at the same time.
- 2D scene editor snap tools restored.
- Compact mesh and world object windows.
- object.selectionShare - allows several objects to hover at once.
- Poster preview will use JPG if no alpha channel - allows more compression.
- Script file controls - add from file/rename/remove js scripts.
- Control and module mesh sharing - controls and modules now share meshes and bitmaps for faster loads and less memory.
- worldPos now returns root scene worldPos - useful for modules.
- object.parent and object.scene added - you can navigate to the scene or parent.
- Improved document render. Advanced sequence control - you can now create detached and relative sequences.
- object.cursor - set this in the same way as system.ui.mouse.cursor for an automatic cursor switch.
- object.sequenceLoop - handy property to control whether the playing sequence will loop.
- system.garbageCollectPeriod - (advanced) set this to control the frequency of collection.
- system.garbageCollect() - (advanced) call this to garbage collect manually.
- object.parent - returns the parent object.
- Material assignment - you can now set meshes.mesh1.materials.mat_1=meshes.mesh2.materials.mat_5; and all the properties will be copied over automatically.
- Text UI - you can now select and copy/paste text in a textbox with the mouse.
- List UI - maximum rows (before a scrollbar appears) can now be set in the UI.
- DisplaySettings property on COM - you can set this node with an XML string.
- Per-object materials - just set object.ownMaterials=true, then you can set object.materials.xxx as you like.
- External file support - you can set the external link manually in the Resources window (right click) to put any resource or scene outside of the DX Studio document.
- Cloth thickness exposed - this was causing an issue in previous releases as the cloth appeared to float above the ground.
- Cloth wind - you can now set a simple wind effect on cloth with object.physics.clothWindSet(vector).
- Player window printing - system.window.print will send your player window to the printer (with optional settings dialog).
- Joystick pov axes set to just under 0 at init time to help with ps3/xbox controllers.
- 2D grid now drawn when snap to grid is on.
- 3D grid now drawn with transparent lines.
- Fonts are now updated in real-time.
- More 2D effects have been added to objects.
- The document preview now uses the document folder for the temp file (so system.folders.document always returns the correct path).
- object.ui.textCaretPos and object.ui.textSelectionPos now let you set the cursor/selection range.
- Added Alt + LMB - camera rotation around centre of scene/object, Alt + MMB - camera X, Y movement, Alt + RMB - camera Z movement.
- network onNetworkData functions - be sure to use the v3 server for v3 documents.
- Text now uses the explicit size (resolution) in the fonts dialog.
- Improved codepad editor speed with longer docs.
- New default layout with compacted lists.
- Shift+click now multiselects a region in the objects window.
- Cursor now flashes in empty textboxes.
- Alpha support added for virtual planes.
- resources.add takes new cache parameter.
- New clamp uv option on a material.
- onBackgroundLoadComplete now called in both document and scene scripts.
Minor new Features in v3:-
You can subscribe to the DX Studio News channel via it's RSS Feed. Just click here to see the feed of all recent news.